dolorosa_12: (sunflowers)
[personal profile] dolorosa_12
One final link that I wanted to keep separate from the previous culture/sociological linkpost is this call to donate to a Ukrainian grassroots initiative in which a retired engineer has converted an old tractor so that it can be operated remotely to clear mined land more safely (i.e. with human operators removed to a safe distance).

Ukrainian authorities estimate that more than 30% of their country (179,000 square kilometres) is mined, making it the most mined country on Earth, so the task to clear the land of mines is obviously an incredibly daunting one.

One of the posts that didn't make the cut for the previous links round-up involved a lot of discussion in the comments section about what really constitutes hope, but for me, the answer (reinforced by what I've witnessed and experienced these past few years, and my own values) is clear. Hope is not a utopia: it is an action, both collective and individual, and in this action, we find the antidote to despair.

I cannot think of any clearer demonstration of hope than the work of the individuals involved in this minesweeping initiative, nor the organisation facilitating the fundraising.

I can vouch for the legitimacy of the individuals involved, and, as always, only share calls for donations in contexts in which I personally would be comfortable donating my own money (as I have done in this case).

Please feel free to share this post, or directly link to the fundraiser.

Profile

dolorosa_12: (Default)
a million times a trillion more

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    1 23
45678 9 10
1112 131415 16 17
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 18th, 2026 01:36 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios